The adventures of an LDS missionary serving in the

Italy Rome mission from June 2013- June 2015

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Good morning Idaho!

Hello Everybody!

   Thank you for your letters. It is great to hear from you. I am so so sorry I haven't sent pictures! I keep forgetting to bring my cable to hook it up to the computer. (They don't have SD slots.) I promise I will get LOTS of pictures to you next week. Please forgive me.
   This week has gone by really fast. We have been teaching quite a few lessons to investigators and less actives. A lot of our investigators are Filipino and African. We also have some Romanians as well. Its crazy because Italy is a little bit of a melting pot. People come here from everywhere to find work. Africa, Romania, Bangladesh, Korea, Philippines you name it, they're here pretty much. So its pretty cool because we have copies of the Book of Mormon in tons of different languages. We live in an apartment in a big building kind of like a hotel... Pretty much everyone does though because that's the only way there would be enough room and...no one can afford a house. People here are pretty poor. And a lot don't have Jobs. But those who really want a Job always seem to find one. 
   We take trams and buses everywhere we want to go. I never realized how big Rome is but it is HUGE. It seriously takes forever to travel across. On buses anyway.
   The food here is pretty dang good. We eat pasta pretty much everyday, and I am probably getting fat already because of it. Luckily, we don't eat gelato everyday or else I would be in big trouble. Gelato is incredible! They have so many flavors you can choose from you are bound to like something. My favorite is Blackberry with creme. Its great. You will definitely have to try some when you come! The pizza is also really good. The cheese that they use is really good. I wish I knew what kind it was. And the sauce id different. I don't really know how to explain it, but it is great!
   So my usual day goes like this. we study in the morning until 10 and then We either meet with an investigator, go finding, or whatever else until 1:00 Then we go back to the apartment because literally almost everyone goes home. The shops all close, the restaurants might stay open I'm not sure. But there is no one on the streets. So we go home, eat, and study some more until 4:00 when we go back out for the rest of the day. Usually if we are planning ahead we can have lessons all night with people which is great! But sometimes people cancel or don't show up so we do some finding. We focus a lot on trying to get referrals because it is so much more efficient. We also focus a lot on Language course (an English class the missionaries teach every week). We get a lot of investigators from that. We hold it every Wednesday and Thursday. It is way fun! We teach all kinds of people. And a lot of people show up. People with all kinds of languages. A lot of what I mentioned earlier, as well as Italians.
   Oh! Yes we play soccer! We play it once a week with less actives and investigators. Either on a Friday or Saturday. It is way cool. Most the time I can't understand what they are saying but we all have fun.
   So yesterday I had a cool experience, I gave my first blessing in Italian. It was to a less active member who moved here to find a job to support his family. His family stayed in his home country. He was having a hard time adjusting to the area, and he was also really worried for his family, along with missing them a lot. So me being the Verdino (the greeny), I was given the great opportunity to do the blessing. It was a great experience for me as I hope it was for him. It was not eloquent, of fast, and I'm sure he didn't understand all of it, (he speaks Spanish) But he said he could feel that It came from my heart. (Hopefully my heart is close to the same thing as the spirit.)
I love you all and it is great to hear about all the things you are doing. May God bless your lives and keep you out of harms way. I think about you everyday. I will see you soon.
   Love always, Anziano Rigby   

No comments:

Post a Comment