The adventures of an LDS missionary serving in the

Italy Rome mission from June 2013- June 2015

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Rome 3, Sept 4

Hello everyone!
   Wow, you guys all sound so busy there! It is good to hear. I have to say I really miss fixing sprinklers and doing random jobs around the house. I kind of fixed our toilet the other day...but that's about as exciting as it gets!  
   Dang, gluten free, che figo (that's cool)! I wish I could do that...kind of. I am constantly worried that I am gonna get a gluten allergy or something cause I eat so much pasta! But the good news is I am cutting back. (I also eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables.) Oh! on the subject of food, Mom, could you send me some of your recipes like your cornbread, and cornmeal rolls and cinnamon rolls, and some healthy recipes? I would love it if you did! But anyway. Way to go Ash!
   Alright. So this week we got transfer calls, and I am staying here with Anziano Bennett. Anziano Sargent got assigned to Sardegna. It is sad to see him go, but I know he will do great there. Anziano Robinson is staying, and he is going to be training! So we will have another greenie in the house!
   This past week we have had a lot of people cancel on us, and not show up to appointments. Kind of a bummer, but what can you do right? So we have done a lot more finding, and street contacting! It has been a good experience. And I am getting better at it. There are three things you need to remember when doing street or house....anytime really. We call them the three P's. Powerful, Prayerful, and Positive. It is so important to remember these three things. It turns what could be a bummer of a day into a day of success and miracles.
   Just yesterday, we were waiting for someone for an appointment but they didn't show. So we went and did street finding! As we were contacting we walked past a huge apartment complex. We felt we should go in and knock on some doors, so we did and nothing came of it. As we were walking away, there was a couple with a 2 year-old girl in the parking lot so we talked with them. They thought we were TJ's and so we explained who we were, and what we do, and what we believe in. This whole time their little girl was running around carrying a bag. She would come up to me, and look at me so I would smile and say ciao, and she would smile. Then she would run away and do it all over. Then she came up to me and she started pulling things out of the bag and handing them to me and she would say what they were. She was the sweetest little girl! We had a good discussion with this couple and then asked them if we could exchange numbers so we could talk more. He said "numbers no. But I will go to your site and learn more." (We had given him a little pass along card with our information.) He then said this. "I must tell you. This is crazy. My little girl never talks to strangers, let alone plays with them. You must be good people, and you must have good hearts, because she never does this." 
   Now I don't write this to say I'm a good person or anything, because I am far from it. But me and Anziano Bennett had been talking about how babies and little kids can sense a difference. They can feel a difference for some reason, and because of it the man wanted to learn more about who we are. Because of his daughter.
   After we talked to them, we felt we had accomplished what we were in that area to do. It was not a huge feeling at all. But just a slight difference in how we felt. When I was younger, I always thought missionaries could feel the spirit so strong and it talked to them more. That is not what it is at all. We can all feel the spirit, and we don't feel it any more than anyone else who is listening. But that is the secret. Becoming accustomed to listening to it. In our daily lives it may be harder because we have other things to think about. Here in the mission field, our purpose is to listen to the Spirit, and only listen to the Spirit. so it seems easier. Also we strive to be exactly obedient. I think, just like in the mission field, every little thing counts. Being obedient isn't just something for missionaries, it is for everyone. And I think we can all do better at that. Me anyways. haha
   Well, that was my cool experience for the week. I don't have anything really to say about what gets me down. I still can't understand much of what people say on the street and that can get frustrating, but only if you let it get to you. I'm sorry I don't have more to say. I think it is one blessing of the mission that you remember the good things, and the bad things seem to fade away. Like with the MTC. I can remember that it was one of the hardest things I have done, but when I try to think why, all I can remember are the good times, and good experiences I had. That might sound silly, but that is what I have experienced so far. Just one of the many small and tender mercies of the Lord.
   Thank you again for all your e-mails. And thanks for the spiritual thoughts! I loved what you said about Laman, and Lemuel. It is all good and fun and uplifting to talk about those topics until you start contending and I think it is interesting how Nephi asks if they had inquired of the Lord. Because it is always when we start relying on the knowledge of men, and our own understanding, then Satan is able to sneak in contention. If you are relying on what God has said, or what prophets have said, there is no room to contend. Very interesting indeed. Thank you for that.
   Alright I better go. I love you all and I hope you are having fun and staying safe! See ya later dudes!!! (Movie Trivia) I'll give you a hint. It's a Disney movie. :)
Ciao!
    Love always, Anziano Rigby.   

No comments:

Post a Comment